Friday, March 6, 2009

Interior Lighting (Rig) Setup Post #2













Hello all, here I'm back again with this simple 'lighting (rig) setup', that you can use it systematically in you interior scenes. The basic and the most important thing when you create lighting setup is to stay with the same unit scale and gamma mode in your scenes, mine is centimeters and gamma 2.2, so if you work with different settings or with different program you still be able assume this setup, only with higher/lower lighting parameters.

So I will start linearly explaining my lighting rig.
TIP: You should do all the process by isolating every light to see ho
w it appears in your scene.

Camera: So you can see the VrayCam settings, these already set to F-number 5 instead of 8 by default, and shutter speed to 280 instead of 200. I would suggest you to start with the default camera setting and adjust them later on after setting the Sun, Sky, and fill lights.

Sun: I just drag and drop VraySun, VraySky should appear as well automatically.
you can hit render just to test if you satisfied with the shadows, exposure...etc.
I increase a bit the size parameters just to get more softer shadows, and i put it far away from the scene.

Sky: You can turn off the VraySun just to see how the VrySky appears in your scene, I use VarySky in GI Environment and Reflection/Refraction modes, It helps me to get more realistic bluish environment interactions with the objects. You can make it stronger/softer by increasing/decreasing multiply parameters on the manual mode, it is just a meter of taste.

Background: afterwards I add boxes with VrayLightMtl and assume BG image to them, here as well very recommended to isolate them from other light sources and to make a test render before adjusting the multiplier parameters.

Main light: Usually you will have VrayLight in every opening. here I put 1 big VrayLight infront of the window, from the direction of the VraySun, (when you have lots of windows you can put just 1 big light behind). Depends on the day time, mine is noon, so the color will be light yellowish. The purpose of this light is to simulate the strong incoming light source from the VraySun, so the multiplier will be hight(90).

Secondary light: Other lights will be with light blueish color, and will be place on the sides, or in every necessary place. The purpose of this light is to simulate the soft incoming light source from the VraySky, so the multiplier will be low (30).

Camera Flash Light: I put behind my camera VrayLight and position it with the camera direction. The purpose of this light is to simulate the camera's flash light, and increase the vignetting. In my opinion it gives more realistic look, use it carefully, this light is supposed to be felt not noticed.

IES: I use them for spots, near to the camera spots will need more adjustments and more light sources to simulate the spots correctly, but as for these ones that would not be necessary. Remember every light source adds rendering time to your scene, so put your lights only where you need them.

So this is it, you can use this lighting setup rig for your next scenes, I use it and I feel very comfortable with it, saves me a lots of time, feel free to ask/comment if something not clear enough.

Cheers

Images with the same lighting rig setup

No comments:

Post a Comment